Monday, October 27, 2014

Creature (2011)

















"They thought it was safe to go to the swamp...They were wrong"




PLOT

In the back country of Louisiana, a group of friends unearth a terrible secret that unleashes a monster from the depths of the swamp.





REVIEW

Creature is an 2011 creature feature starring Mehcad Brooks (True Blood, Necessary Roughness), Serinda Swan (Tron Legacy, Breakout Kings) and Sid Haig (The Devils Rejects, The Lords of Salem). what quickly starts out as typical road trip for a group of friends quickly turns into a fight for survival.

Creature starts off with a Jaws like homage scene, but instead of the ocean, its set in the swamps of Louisiana which is a nice little nod to a classic film., Which this movie is not. It's not a slight against this movie but this and Jaws are like apples and rotted fruit.

The movie is full of cliques and nods to other films of the genre, but with all of that Creature tries to be different in some ways but not all of the ideas are greatly thought out, the Creature effects are not the greatest either when it is seen and it is seen way to much in this film (less would've made it better) It looked somewhat I Swamp Thing's pissed off cousin or something.

The acting is not the best either but that's to be expected in movies like this but I will say that of the group of friends the stand outs were brother/Sister team of Oscar (Dillon Casey) and Karen (Lauren Schneider) their characters seem liked the most thought out and have probably the biggest shock scene in the movie.

I was surprised that Mehcad Brooks was the lead I mean I get it because at the time he was known for being on True Blood and Desperate Housewives but I always got the feeling that the other actor Aaron Hill might have been the main lead had Brooks not been cast in the lead role.

If you're a fan of backwoods, creature features, wrong turn type of films with  a twist I say check it out. Its not the greatest movie but it's also not the worst either.


MY THOUGHTS

I heard a lot about this movie when it came out in 2011 and none of the reviews were good(my review doesn't give it to much praise either) so with this being October and it being on Netflix I decided to give it a watch. No harm, No foul. Right? I went into the movie expecting it to be one way but it turned on its head in a good way and I ended up enjoying it alot more then I was expecting too but since I  went into it with no expections that's not really saying much.



My Rating
5/10

Cast
Mehcad Brooks-Niles
Serinda Swan- Emily
Dillon Casey-Oscar
Lauren Schneider-Karen
Aaron Hill- Randy Parker
Amanda Fuller-Beth
Sid Haig- Chopper

No comments:

Post a Comment